The new NFL schedule is finally here, and with it comes the excitement of a new season. For football fans of all levels, the season is a long, drawn-out affair that can be pretty thrilling at times and excruciating at others. To help make this season as exciting and engaging as possible, here are five picks for top games to watch this year. Whether you’re a casual fan or an avid follower of the NFL, these games will have you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.
The Denver Broncos are coming off a disappointing season, but they have the talent to bounce back this year. The team has a lot of young talent who will be looking to take the next step in their careers. The Broncos have also made some big acquisitions over the offseason, including signing Case Keenum and trading for Aqib Talib. The team should be strong on defense this season and should be able to win most of their games.
The Philadelphia Eagles start the season off with a bang, hosting the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday Night Football. The NFC East rivals will be looking to get back on track after losing their last three games. Philly is coming off a strong showing in the playoffs, where they upset the Green Bay Packers in the Divisional Round before falling to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.
In their other home opener, the Minnesota Vikings travel to Lincoln Financial Field to take on quarterback Carson Wentz and the Eagles. These two teams have met once before this season, with Philadelphia winning 27-22 in Week 2. This game will be key for both teams as they look to get off to a good start and build some momentum heading into the new season.
Following those opening games, Philadelphia will hit roadblocks as they travel to face divisional rivals Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Giants. The Bucs are looking for revenge after losing 30-27 at home last year while Eli Manning and the Giants hope to rebound from a disappointing 2017 campaign that included an 11-5 record but failed in reaching the playoffs.
Philadelphia finishes its regular season at home against Detroit Lions and Arizona Cardinals. After starting 0-2 last year, Detroit enters this year 2-0 under new head coach Matt Patricia while Arizona has been struggling overall but should have their most explosive offense since Carson Palmer was able to lead them there in 2015.
New England Patriots
The New England Patriots are one of the most popular teams in the NFL schedule and their fans are known for their passionate and dedicated support. Whether you’re a diehard Patriots fan or just curious about this historic franchise, here are our top picks for the upcoming season.
1) Look for the Pats to make a run at another championship this season. Led by QB Tom Brady and WR Julian Edelman, New England is dangerous on both sides of the ball.
2) Be sure to catch some of the team’s biggest matchups, including games against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Kansas City Chiefs, and Atlanta Falcons.
3) Get more insight into the Pats with our comprehensive guide to all things New England football. This guide includes information on player stats, history, and more!
Kansas City Chiefs
The Kansas City Chiefs are one of the most popular teams in the NFL schedule, and with good reason. They have a passionate fan base that comes out to support them no matter what. This season, their schedule is tough, but they should be able to make it through without too many injuries.
Here are the top picks on the new NFL schedule:
1. Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs have a really tough schedule this year, but they should be able to make it through without too many injuries. They start off with a game against the Los Angeles Chargers which could be a preview of what’s to come. After that they play divisional rivals the Oakland Raiders and then travel to New England for a rematch of last year’s AFC Championship Game. The final three games of the year are against Houston, Denver, and Arizona. If they can stay healthy and win their division, they should be in good shape for next season.
2. Oakland Raiders: The Raiders also have a tough schedule this year, but they should be better prepared for it than the Chiefs are. They start off with a road game against the Chargers before hosting the Chiefs and then traveling to Houston for another divisional matchup. Their final two games of the year are at home against Denver and at Arizona which will likely decide who wins their division. If they can get past their early struggles and win those two games, they will be in good shape heading into next season.
3. Los Angeles Chargers: The Chargers have a tough schedule as well, but they are in a much better position than the Chiefs and Raiders are. They start off with a game against the Chiefs which could be a preview of what’s to come. After that they travel to New England for a rematch of last year’s AFC Championship Game. The final three games of the year are against Houston, Denver, and Arizona. If they can stay healthy and win their division, they should be in good shape for next season.
Oakland Raiders Football is back and better than ever! The team looks to rebound from a disappointing year in which they were unable to make the playoffs. They have a new head coach in Jon Gruden who brings with him some much-needed energy and new ideas.
The team has made a number of big signings, most notably All-Pro Wide Receiver Amari Cooper from the Dallas Cowboys. They also drafted two exciting young talents in quarterback Derek Carr and running back Marshawn Lynch. This season looks set to be a thrilling one as the Raiders aim to return to the playoffs for the first time since 2002.