Sinusitis is a common infection that affects roughly 14% of adults in the United States. Yearly, this infectious disease affects approximately 10% of men and 17% of women in the country. If you’re currently experiencing a chronic sinus infection, the best thing you can do is visit an “ENT doctor near me.”
After diagnosing you, your medical specialist (otolaryngologist) will go ahead and prescribe you certain treatment options, such as medication, allergy treatment, use of nasal steroids, or Balloon Sinuplasty (BSP). Read on to discover how the right ENT and allergy clinic, such as ENT Care Centers, can provide you with the best care.
What exactly is a sinus infection & its symptoms?
Sinusitis, also known as sinus infection, is a type of infection that mostly affects the sinus cavities. These cavities, which are air-filled spaces in the face and head bones, come with mucus-producing membranes. Infections affect the lining of these cavities, causing inflammation.
Sinusitis has different causes, such as viral infection, bacterial infection, uncontrolled allergies, and fungal infection. This sinus infection produces different symptoms, such as:
- Moist cough
- Fever (up to 101°F)
- Thick yellow/green colored mucus
- Bad breath
- Weak sense of smell
Can ENT treat chronic sinusitis?
Yes, the “ENT clinic near me” is the ideal center to visit for chronic sinusitis treatment. On your first visit to your preferred ENT and allergy clinic, such as ENT Care Centers, your medical specialist will start by examining your medical history. In addition, the doctor will also ask you to discuss the following in detail:
- Your current medication
- Current medical condition
Further examinations, such as the use of a nasal endoscope, CAT scan, and MRI, are performed to check the main cause of your sinus infection. For instance, if “nasal polyps” is the main cause, the doctor will proceed by cutting it appropriately with the right treatment option.
ENT treatment options for sinus infection
Today, there are many different treatment options for addressing sinusitis. Below are a few common options the ENT doctor near me might prescribe:
Antibiotics, nasal steroids, decongestants, mucus-thinning drugs, and oral steroids are the most popular medications for sinusitis.
- Your doctor will most likely recommend antibiotics, such as amoxicillin and azithromycin – if your sinus infection is mild and caused by bacteria. Well, it’s worth noting that your doctor can also prescribe antibiotics for chronic sinusitis, which are not caused by bacteria.
- Oral steroids are effective in treating sinusitis, as they help to relieve the inflammation in the sinus cavities. Oral prednisone is a common steroid you may be prescribed.
- Mucus-thinning drugs, such as guaifenesin, are effective compounds for loosening and clearing mucus from your sinuses.
- One symptom of sinusitis is swelling. If you experience this symptom, your doctor may prescribe decongestants to reduce or eliminate the swelling in your nasal passages. This method also helps to ease your sinus pressure.
- Sinus surgery
Endoscopic sinus surgery is common and your doctor may go for this treatment option, depending on your condition. This procedure involves the use of an endoscope to remove blockages and treat your sinusitis. You may not escape this treatment option if you have recurrent acute sinusitis.
- Balloon Sinuplasty (BSP)
This is an innovative procedure that is very different from conventional sinus surgery. With this approach, your doctor will prescribe local anesthesia and make use of a small, flexible balloon catheter to open your inflamed sinuses.
For more information on how ENT Care Centers can help you treat your sinusitis, you can visit our official website.
Also Read Interesting Articles At: Amazing Posting.